Scott MorishitaAssociate Counsel
Scott’s legal experience is diverse. He has worked at small firms and large firms, for organizations and individuals, for insurance companies and against insurance companies, and for plaintiffs and defendants. The common thread throughout his varied career is a commitment to representing his clients with determination, fairness, and integrity.
Scott was thrilled to join Rice Harbut Elliott in 2019. His heart has always been with representing injured people, and he is glad to be back where he belongs.
Scott is a “lawyer’s lawyer.” He is passionate about the law and the judicial system. Scott is very comfortable in the courtroom and has acted as lead counsel on numerous precedent-setting decisions. His trial experience includes bringing and defending cases involving car accidents, trip and falls, slip and falls, assault, and injuries suffered at facilities or properties. Outside of personal injury cases, Scott has conducted trials in cases involving property damage, trespass, nuisance, bylaw enforcement, and allegations of unreasonable government conduct.
Scott recognizes that getting injured in an accident can be a traumatic experience. The recovery process can be frustrating, uncertain, and overwhelming. The best result is always a full recovery and a fair and reasonable settlement. Unfortunately, despite their best efforts, not all injured people get better. And while most cases settle, sometimes a reasonable settlement cannot be obtained, forcing the case to trial. Throughout this process, Scott is a passionate, thoughtful, and energetic advocate who is dedicated to supporting his clients with empathy and compassion.
Member, Law Society of British Columbia
Member, Canadian Bar Association
Member, Trial Lawyers Association of British Columbia
Member, Vancouver Bar Association
Member, Federation of Asian Canadian Lawyers (British Columbia)
B.A., Political Science, University of British Columbia (2000)
LL.B., University of Victoria (2005)
Place and Year of Call
British Columbia (2007)
Canadian Bar Association – B.C. Branch
- First Vice President (2022 – present)
- Director, Board of Directors (2020 – present)
- Chair, Governance Review Subcommittee (2022 – present)
- Chair, Policy and Advocacy Committee (2022 – present)
- Chair, Nominating Committee (2022 – present)
- Member, Finance and Audit Committee (2021 – present)
- Board Liaison, Advisory Committee to Judicial Council (2022 – present)
- Second Vice President (2021 – 2022)
- Elected Representative (Vancouver County), Provincial Council (2018 – 2022)
- Chair, Member Services & Engagement Committee (2021 – 2022)
- Board Liaison, Rural Education and Access to Lawyers Initiative Committee (2021 – 2022)
- Member, Access to Justice Committee (2019 – 2021)
- Member, Policy and Advocacy Committee (2021 – 2022)
- Mentor, Law Student Mentorship Program (2019 – present)
Continuing Legal Education Society of B.C.
- Director, Board of Directors (2019 – 2022)
- Chair, Governance Committee (2020 – 2022)
- Member, Finance Committee (2021 – 2022)
- Member, Executive Committee (2020 – 2021)
Pro Bono Students Canada, UVic Chapter
- Lawyer Supervisor (2019 – present)
Federation of Asian Canadian Lawyers (British Columbia)
- Mentor, Mentorship Program (2019 – present)
Lawyers Assistance Program of British Columbia
- Volunteer (2007 – present)
RainCity Housing and Support Society
- Director, Board of Directors (2016 – 2020)
- Vice Chair, Board of Directors (2018 – 2019)
- Chair, Governance Committee (2018 – 2019)
When not at work, Scott enjoys traveling, cooking and baking, following U.S. politics, and spending time with family and friends. He is committed to personal growth and is working towards a certificate in counselling skills.